THE EUROPEAN COMMITTEE OF THE REGIONS
- welcomes, including on behalf of the European Alliance of Cities and Regions for the Reconstruction of Ukraine, the Commission proposal for a Ukraine Facility, as necessary to ensure predictable financing for Ukraine until 2027;
- acknowledges that the Facility clearly mentions a key role for Ukraine's local and regional authorities. However, the CoR proposes a series of measures to ensure their proper involvement and suggests that the Facility apply the partnership principle as defined in the European code of conduct on partnership in the framework of the European Structural and Investment Funds in order to prepare the approximation of Ukraine with EU regional policy;
- argues that the overall budget of Facility should be EUR 60 billion, rather than EUR 50 billion for the 2024-2027 period;
- is pleased that the Ukraine Facility builds on the EU's borrowing capacity, providing loans to Ukraine on very good terms, as well as non-repayable support of up to EUR 17 billion and guarantees, and therefore does not involve cohesion policy-related funding;
- proposes reinforcing the share of funds made available for capacity building (under Pillar III of the Facility) in order to reinforce the support for the implementation of EU accession-related reforms, the necessary capacity building of local and regional authorities and dedicated cooperation programmes;
- underlines that the Commission must ensure consistency between the assistance provided under the Facility and the enlargement policy framework;
- recommends adding a territorial component to the Multi-¬Agency Donor Coordination Platform, with the European Alliance of Cities and Regions for the Reconstruction of Ukraine playing a coordinating role in this component.