Biography and interventions
Christophe Rouillon is mayor of Coulaines, second Vice-President of Le Mans Métropole with responsibility for budget and European funds, Vice-President of the Association of French Mayors with responsibility for Europe and has been a member of the European Committee of the Regions since 2005.
He is President of the Party of European Socialists Group in the European Committee of the Regions since October 2019. Rouillon studied Public Law and Political Science at the Universities of Sorbonne and Paris 2-Assas and holds a degree in Public Law from the University of Maine Le Mans. He also completed the Aspen programme for young politicians and postgraduate studies in European studies at the National School of Administration (École Nationale d'Administration, ENA). In 2001, at the age of 34, he was elected mayor of Coulaines, and was reconfirmed in his position in the 2004, 2008, 2011, 2014 and 2020 local elections.
As member of the Committee, Christophe Rouillon has been rapporteur on several key dossiers, including “Reconnecting Europe with its citizens: more and better communication at local level”, “Deepening of the Economic and Monetary Union”, “Towards a more efficient and democratic decision making in EU tax policy” and “Recovery plan for Europe in response to the COVID-19 pandemic: Recovery and Resilience Facility and Technical Support Instrument” .
- Opening of the #ProgressiveLocalLab at Urban Thinkers Summit (German)
Mannheim, 25 October 2019
- Reply to Mrs Tuppurainen, Finnish Minister for European Affairs, on the Programme of the EU Council Presidency (French)
Brussels, 9 October 2019
- Speech on the “State of the European Union: the View of Regions and Cities”, 4 December 2019
- Speech for Karl-Heinz Lambertz, former President of the European Committee of the Regions, 11 February 2020
- Speech on the opinion on the rule of law, 12 February 2020
- Reply to Thierry Breton, European Commissioner in charge of the Internal Market, 2 July 2020
- Speech at the ENVE Commission of the Committee of the Regions during a debate with European Commissioner Kadri Simson, 9 September 2020 (in French)
- Reply to Angela Merkel, Chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany, 13 October 2020