THE EUROPEAN COMMITTEE OF THE REGIONS
- calls on the European Commission to continue building on the EGD in the next EU term of office to ensure a stable framework going beyond one single term, by publishing a new communication on a "Green Deal 2.0";
- calls on the Council of the European Union, the European Parliament, and the European Commission to further engage in an in-depth review and revision of the Governance of the Energy Union and Climate Action Regulation. Stresses that the CoR and local and regional authorities must be fully involved in this review;
- considers that the EGD should become an umbrella strategy, further aligned with the SDGs, with a view to encompassing the most relevant dimensions of sustainable development, harnessing the co-benefits of achieving environmental and social goals, while keeping the climate neutrality target as a compass. These efforts would be in line with the discussions happening at global level;
- insists that the review of the EGD framework must address all aspects relating to vulnerable groups, to better respond to social and territorial needs, which will require a more systematic alignment with the allocation of EU resources, starting with the Multiannual Financial Framework; welcomes, in this sense, the work of the European Commission on sustainable and inclusive wellbeing as a first important step in moving Europe's governance beyond the use of GDP as the single relevant indicator;
- highlights the fact that a comprehensive EGD monitoring and outlook system is needed to ensure appropriate guidance for EGD governance and implementation, paying particular attention to the territorial specificities.