About the PES Group
The Group of the Party of European Socialists (PES Group) in the Committee of the Regions (CoR) is a political group bringing together social-democrat, socialist, labour and progressive representatives from local and regional authorities across the EU.
With around 120 members and about the same number of alternate members, the PES Group is the second largest political group in the Committee of the Regions, the youngest of the EU institutions set up by the Treaty of Maastricht as an assembly representing local and regional authorities within the EU. The CoR's main aim is to involve regions, cities and municipalities in the formulation of Community policies, three quarters of which are implemented at local or regional level. Thanks to their dual mandate at local/regional and European levels, the 350 CoR members from the 28 EU Member States play a key role in explaining European integration at grass roots level.
The current President of the PES Group is Catiuscia Marini, President of the Umbria Region, Italy. She was elected President of the PES Group in February 2015.
The purpose of the PES Group is:
- to bring together social-democrat, socialist, labour and progressive members in a multinational group, enabling them to co-operate and take common positions on political issues of vital importance for local and regional authorities;
- to increase the role and political influence of the CoR in the European decision-making process;
- to develop close working relationships with the social-democrat and socialist national parties represented in the Group, the Party of European Socialists (PES), the Group of the Progressive Alliance of Socialists and Democrats in the European Parliament (S&D Group), as well as social-democrat and socialist groups in other international bodies;
- to contribute to the political agenda of the Party of the European Socialists and raise issues of specific local and regional interest.
Our political priorities
- Pushing for an ambitious agenda for investments and job creation
- Supporting the transition towards a sustainable and energy-efficient economy
- Fighting for a comprehensive migration and a fair common asylum policies, based on the full respect of human rights
- Promoting better standards in trade policy
- Strengthening the impact of the PES Group within the CoR and beyond.
Rules of Procedure of the CoR PES Group:
Political priorities of the PES Group for the CoR 2015-2020 term of office: